Thursday, April 18, 2013

From Hollywood to the Classroom: Making Movies!

This week in 486, we made our own movies!  Dr. B gave us some instruction on how to use the program iMovie (which is suprisingly way easier to use than I thought) and let us work.  We were to create a movie with educational purpose in our classrooms.

Before this project I had a little experience with iMovie.  I worked for a really large church a couple of summers ago, where they produce all their own videos and media.  I loved getting to help with creative ideas for the videos and watched a lot of the videos being created in iMovie.  I recently got a D-SLR camera that has video function.  When I had more time over the summer, I decided to play around with it a little bit.  I have always loved video production and watch music videos 24-7.  So I got the idea to make a music video for a friends birthday to a song we like to laugh about.  Some friends and I filmed the video and I edited it in iMovie.  

Last time I used iMovie, I was less than an expert, but it was fun to play around with.  However, this time around using iMovie for the classroom was a great way for me to learn more of its features.  I enjoyed having the instruction from Dr. B and thought it was helpful for creating this assignment.  The hardest part was going to be finding pictures to use that weren't under copyright.  So, I decided to cut some losses and just take the photos myself.  I created an instructional process video on how to make a paper puppet.  I would use this in my classroom, to show the students while I pass out materials to use to make our own puppets!  I love puppets for the classroom to use during reader's theater or just reading in general.  This really helps the words come to life for the students, so I have been planning on using them.  And how better to get puppets in the class than having students make them!  This is why I wanted to create this How to Make a Puppet video.  I think that the students will pay attention better to a video as direct instruction than me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment